Job Description Summary
The Parish Administrator is responsible for the day-to-day administrative needs of the church. The administrator provides administrative assistance to the pastor, staff, and congregation. The administrator coordinates church activities and disseminates information to congregation.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Serves as primary receptionist during office hours and admits visitors and members into facility via secure entrances
- Coordinates volunteer receptionists for vacation and sick days
- Coordinates access to church facilities with key fob system
- Prepares and publishes weekly service bulletins, including wedding and funeral bulletins, parish notices and special inserts using Microsoft Publisher
- Updates church website with weekly bulletins and emails weekly bulletin to congregation
- Maintains and updates the official church calendar online for meetings and events
- Sends weekly reminder notifications to scheduled volunteers (e.g. lectors, worship assistants, nursery volunteers, building supervisors, children church teachers)
- Emails congregation prayer concerns and notices
- Processes hard copy mailings to the congregation and picks up mail from the post office
- Maintains monthly calendars for birthdays, altar flowers, missionary sponsorships
- Publishes the annual congregational report and submits to ELCA
- Maintains church membership statistics, updates parish membership register, processes membership record transfers
- Updates communion records
- Orders office supplies and other church supplies as budgeted
- Schedules shut-in visitation appointments
- Publishes and distributes annual Time & Talent survey
- Attends weekly staff meetings
- Performs other similar duties as required and directed by the Senior Pastor
Knowledge & Skills
Customer service principles, modern office procedures, recordkeeping principles, operation of computers and applicable software (must be able to operate Microsoft Publisher & Microsoft Word), preparation of business correspondence, communication and interpersonal skills
High school diploma or equivalency and at least 5 years of administrative assistance experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Preference for experience working within a church setting.
Hiring Salary Range: $26,520.00 – $29,640.00
Benefits: Health insurance and retirement plans,
Paid vacation, sick, and holiday leave
Work Hours: 30 hours per week
The Parish Administrator reports directly to the Senior Pastor of St. James Lutheran Church. The Parish Administrator is annually evaluated by the Senior Pastor.
The Church Council has final responsibility for the employment and supervision of the staff of this congregation and reserves the right to review all personnel actions taken.